Free Legal Advice

Back to Support

Finding the right information and advice around legal matters can be challenging. We've collated a list of local and national resources that may support you to find the right information if you have a legal matter.


Citizens Advice Rural Cambs –  is your independent local advice charity. They are here to help you with your problems and concerns – such as debt, benefits, work, relationships and more – all totally free and in total confidence. Their website has a host of information or you can contact by calling 0808 2787 807 or find more details by clicking here.

Legal Aid – This can help meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal.

You’ll usually need to show that:

  • your case is eligible for legal aid
  • the problem is serious
  • you cannot afford to pay for legal costs

More information can be found on the government website. You can view by clicking here.

For those people that are not eligible for legal aid – there is information about getting free legal advice from the Law Society. To view click here

Advice now – is an independent, not-for-profit website, run by the charity Law for Life: the Foundation for Public Legal Education. It provides accurate, practical information on rights and the law in England and Wales. The website has information on a range of legal matters including employment, family, benefits, homelessness and housing. This is an online only service and can be viewed at

They have an extensive range of guides to walk you through a range of legal issues to view the guides click here.

LawWorks is a charity working in England and Wales to connect volunteer lawyers with people in need of legal advice, who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay, and with the not-for-profit organisations that support them. You can view the website at

LawWorks offer free advice clinics around the country. Some offer advice face-to-face, by phone, email and digitally. Please note, some services are only able to offer advice to clients according to geographic location, client demographic and/or area of law. To find your nearest clinic visit their website by clicking here.

Advocate logo

Advocate is a national charity that finds free legal assistance from volunteer barristers. We match members of the public who need free legal help with barristers who are willing to donate their time and expertise in deserving cases for those who are unable to obtain legal aid and cannot afford to pay. Find out more and how to apply on their website.

ARU logo

ARU Law Clinic

ARU Law Clinic can offer you free legal advice about your family law matters, including:

  • relationship break down
  • separation or divorce
  • child contact arrangements.

You can arrange a free 30-minute face-to-face appointment with their volunteer lawyers and student advisors. This service is available throughout the year on the ARU campus in Cambridge or virtually, via Zoom. You can call 01223 698498 to have a chat with their friendly staff who can book an appointment for you or you can email [email protected]. For More information click here.

Lawstop logo

LawStop offer advice on housing issues including homelessness, housing applications, disrepair, overcrowding, unsuitability and evictions. They work remotely to cover the whole county, but also offer a drop-in sessions in some areas, and are happy to meet people wherever is best for them – contact them to find out details and more information. Their referral email is [email protected]

Family Law Group logo

The Family Law Group have specialist solicitors offering expert legal advice across the full range of Family Law matters such as Divorce & Separation, Child Arrangements & Social Services, Care Proceedings, Matrimonial Finance & Property, Mediation, Collaborative Law, Forced Marriage and Domestic Abuse Injunctions.

They can assist with Legal Aid where available, and offer regional advice surgeries for low cost legal advice. They have some offices in the county, check their website for addresses and more information, including phone numbers to make an appointment.

Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) offers free and independent legally-based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

By law, children with SEND are entitled to educational support that meets their individual needs. IPSEA helps parents with guides, template letter, Advice and Help Lines, Tribunal Support, and legal training. Find out more on their website.

Support Through Courts – is a charity supporting people who face court alone so that they can represent themselves to the best of their abilities.  Their service is free and based in court buildings. In addition to their local offices, they also offer a National Helpline Service on 03000 810 006 which is open Monday to Friday 10:30am to 3:30pm. You can view their website here

Prisoner Support Services – offers support for those in custody, those who have been released, on bail, remand, and those who have finished their license period. They support with practical problem-solving and have a vast understanding of the complexities around the prison system. They can be contacted by calling 01775 423077 or for more information click here.

How to contact


Where to go

Huntingdonshire District

Share this page

Skip to content